Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need a visa to enter Australia. All other passport holders must apply for a visa before leaving home. You can apply for a range of visas, including tourist visas and working holiday visas, at your nearest Australian Consulate. You can also apply for certain types of visas online.

Tourist or Visitor visas

Visas are available from Australian embassies, high commissions, consulates and online.

To find the most suitable visa, check eligibility, or find out about visa extensions, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

If you are visiting Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, options include the  Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), Visitor Visa and eVisitor. These visa options can allow for stays of up to three, six or twelve months.

Visiting relatives and friends, and other short-term non-work purpose visits may also be covered.

Working Holiday

Working Holiday visas allow travellers, aged 18 to 30 (or 35 years old for some countries), to stay in Australia for 12 months (and up to three years for some countries) and take on short-term employment during that time. These visas must be arranged several months prior to travel to Australia.

Visit the Department of Home Affairs for further details about Working Holiday visas.


Prior to landing in Australia you'll be handed an immigration form to fill out, as well as Customs and Agriculture Declaration forms. Australia has strict quarantine laws – you must declare all goods of animal or plant origin, and you can't bring fresh fruit or vegetables into the country. If you're unsure about any items, it's best to declare them.

If you've been snacking on the flight, discard any leftovers in the arrival area quarantine bins, or on the way to collect your luggage.

For more information, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.


Unable to get data